Wearing White after Labor Day

Fashion

We talked about wearing blush into fall before, but today it is Labor Day! Apparently, you can’t wear white after today, thanks to some antiquated societal rule people used after the Civil War to distinguish old money from new money. I say screw that, wear white all year long!

Here are some easy ways to keep wearing white after Labor Day, along with some of my favorite winter white picks (most are on sale!)

This post contains affiliate links.

White Sweaters

Perhaps the easiest way to wear white after Labor Day is through sweaters. Typically, wearing a white sweater allows for fun pops of color via vests, coats, scarves and other accessories.

A lot has changed this year but their love and support never has. Thankful every single day

A post shared by Caitlin Patton ❣️ (@caitpatton) on

I wore a white sweater under a J.Crew check vest last fall (with my dark hair) and I loved how the outfit turned out!

Shop My Picks

White Dresses

You can wear white dresses with booties, riding boots, etc. and a big comfy scarf. You’d treat a white dress the same way you’d treat a white sweater: It’s a blank canvas.

Monday gets a whole lot easier when you're in a cute outfit! Now live on the blog 🌟

A post shared by Caitlin Patton ❣️ (@caitpatton) on

Last fall, I wore a white fuzzy dress with some OTK boots and a black patterned cardigan. It was such a fun and comfy outfit!

Shop My Picks

White Jeans

Bare with me here. I know that white jeans are typically the biggest no-no of this “No White” rule. However, there are lots of ways you can use white jeans as a winter white accent.

I styled this adorable Free People tunic top with white jeans to really create contrast and interest. I still think these white jeans look fine! I would say that it is important to have a bold colored top when wearing white jeans in winter or you will look too spring-like.

Some other ideas of things you can wear with white jeans: Turtlenecks, sweaters, dusters, sweatshirts, off the shoulder top, etc.

Shop My Picks

White Vests

White vests help bring outfits together with a stark white in your layering. I just got the cutest vest during the Nordstrom Sale and I can’t wait to style it with some patterned flannels!

Last fall, I paired a white J.Crew puffer vest with a fun flannel.

Shop My Picks

White Scarves

Finally, white scarves add some great contrast to any outfit!

My friend Olivia from Prep Essentials styled an outfit last winter with a white scarf! I love it!

Shop My Picks

What are your thoughts on wearing white after Labor Day?

previous post
next post

You Might Also Like

Nadalie
    September 4, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Love it! I’m not sure who ever came up with this no white after labour day nonsense, but I’ve got quite a few white pieces I rock in the fall and winter. Love the scarfs you shared, might have to get one.

Zesty Olive
    September 4, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Some seriously great options you posted for wearing white after Labor Day! I tend more toward the creams or winter white, as they say, so I’m good with it! πŸ™‚

Bekah
    September 4, 2017 at 12:15 PM

I only have white t-shirts, but I sure like the choices you have shown!

Taylor
    September 4, 2017 at 2:40 PM

I love all of these – especially the white dress with the plaid cardi!

Megan at Lush to Blush
    September 4, 2017 at 6:38 PM

Yessss, girl! I totally rock white all year long! Love your picks πŸ™‚

Stephanie
    September 4, 2017 at 8:33 PM

Oooh, yes girl, I am ALL about these winter whites. That cable-knit sweater dress with bell sleeves is calling my name, but everything you’ve linked is just gorgeous!

Kristin Taylor
    September 4, 2017 at 9:57 PM

I’m totally a fan of white after Labor Day! I especially love the white jeans paired with a darker top (plaid or otherwise). I also want every single scarf you shared!

Amanda
    September 6, 2017 at 3:18 PM

I love wearing white after Labor Day! My favorite pieces are my white J. Crew vest and white sweaters.

Thomas Falkenstedt
    September 9, 2017 at 10:47 AM

I say screw conventions as well and urge people to think outside the box and especially ignore old rules of etiquette, which in this case is an American one I’ve actually never heard before, but only dates back to the Civil War and I can’t any point on keeping the rivalry going on anymore. Great styling tips on how to wear white all year long! πŸ™‚
    Thomas xx

Sarah | The Bourbon Beauty
    September 9, 2017 at 6:31 PM

Girl- LOVE the idea of sweaters! That is brilliant! Great post with many different ideas and so much inspiration!

Sami | The Classic Brunette
    September 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM

I am a huge fan of wearing white year round! I think it’s a great color for fall and winter and makes other parts of the outfit pop!

xo